It was important that you told your story and you did.
As the American Health Care Act was being pulled from the US House floor, I heard several news reports that included interviews with people who echoed our theme: Do NOT Cut and Cap Medicaid.
Our action worked. So take a deep breath, be thankful, but be vigilant. Medicaid is safe for now, but the whole Medicaid issue could be back!
For your Background Information:
Medicaid is an important partnership of the federal government and the states.
Medicaid represents $1 out of every $6 spent on health care in the U.S. and is the major source of financing for states to provide coverage to meet health and long-term needs of low-income populations. Washington State draws down billions in federal Medicaid funding enabling our limited state funds to go farther and serve more people; for most Medicaid the federal government pays 50 cents of every dollar. The newly established Community First Choice program draws down 56 cents on the dollar.
Medicaid touches all our lives.
People with developmental disabilities make up part of the Medicaid population. Thousands of Washingtonians with DD (adults and children) depend upon Medicaid-funded services.
- Over 44,000 people are clients of the Developmental Disabilities Administration (DDA).
- Of those more than 13,000 receive personal care services through Community First.
- Choice that support them to get out of bed, get dressed, bathe and eat meals.
- Apple Health is also Medicaid funded.
- Any DDA client receiving services receives Medicaid funding.
You Took Action
and Results Happened!
For more information, contact:
Ed Holen, Washington State Developmental Disabilities Council
Sue Elliott, The Arc Washington State